Your Case is Our Cause
Who Handles Medical Malpractice Cases in Pittsburgh?
When you find yourself a victim of medical malpractice or negligence by a health care professional, it’s hard to understand what to do next. While a lawsuit will never erase the damage that was done – it can help provide peace of mind and ease the possible financial burden that was placed upon you or your family.
No matter the source – whether the injury was caused by nursing home negligence or a mistake by a doctor, surgeon, or a dentist – any personal injury victim of medical malpractice deserves and should seek justice.
The experienced team at Schiffman Firm has successfully litigated thousands of cases in Western Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh – including medical and dental malpractice lawsuits. Our attorneys will be devoted to your case and aggressive in defending your best interest to ensure you are awarded the compensation and recovery you deserve.
Were you or someone you care about injured while under the supervision of a health care professional like a doctor, nurse, anesthesiologist, dentist, or a nursing home? Contact our attorneys today and review your case for free. You owe us nothing unless you win your case.
Start Your Free Consultation
Medical Malpractice Resource Center
What Can We Help You With?
A basic overview
What is medical malpractice?
A case is deemed as medical malpractice when a mistake or negligent act is performed by a doctor, surgeon, dentist, nurse, or any other type of medical professional that ultimately results in personal injury or wrongful death to a patient.
While medical malpractice cases have appeared since the 1800’s it wasn’t until the 1960s that these cases became common and started to have an impact on shaping our medical community and health care systems.
The first thing any victim of medical malpractice needs to understand is that these laws were put in place to protect the patient’s rights to pursue compensation and financial recovery for injuries resulting in improper care during medical or health care procedures.
A victim of medical malpractice shouldn’t feel embarrassed or hesitate to pursue legal action if they have been injured under the care of a health care provider that they provided their trust in.
If you need to speak to an attorney about a possible medical malpractice case, contact the personal injury law firm of Schiffman Firm in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Our team will listen to your case and offer you a free evaluation with guidance on the next steps you should take.
Hospitals, Doctors, Nursing Homes, Dentists
Who is liable in a medical malpractice injury?
One thing that is important to note is that medical malpractice cases are not simply limited to hospitals. This type of personal injury claim can include individual doctors and surgeons, or any facility providing healthcare services can be held responsible if harm is inflicted while someone is in their care. This includes dentists, nursing homes, rehab facilities, and more.
Liable parties in medical malpractice cases can include, but are not limited to:
- Hospitals and hospital staff
- Medical assistance
- Nursing homes
- Rehab and skilled nursing facilities
Birth Injuries, Surgical Errors, Medication Negligence
What Are Some Examples of Medical Malpractice?
A medical malpractice case can present itself at any point during a patient’s treatment.
It can begin as soon as the initial appointment with their primary care provider, to surgical procedures, or even during a visit to the emergency room.
Medical malpractice case examples can include, but are not limited to:
- Surgical and surgery room errors
- Gynecological and obstetrical malpractice
- Injuries during childbirth and pregnancy
- Negligence during emergency room visits
- Anesthesia errors
- A misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Failure to diagnose cancer, heart conditions, or other diseases
- Medication and prescription errors
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBI) from falls
- Failure to obtain necessary patient information or records
- Nursing home or hospital neglect that leads to bedsores, other injuries, or even wrongful death
Tooth Extractions, Nerve Injuries, Fractured Jaws
Can a Dentist Be Sued for Medical Malpractice?
Dental care-related injuries can result in permanent pain, numbness, disfigurement, and even death. Examples of medical malpractice cases involving dentists that we have successfully won include:
- Improper tooth extractions leading to personal injury
- Nerve injuries
- Fractured jaws
- Undiagnosed or inadequately treated conditions such as periodontal disease or cancer
- Root canal mistakes
- Defective dental implants, crowns, bridges, and veneers
- Infections caused by dental malpractice.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Know if I Have a Medical Malpractice Case?
It’s important to state that just because there was a negative outcome from a medical doesn’t always mean medical malpractice was at play.
Doctors and other health care providers are extensively trained and highly skilled in their individual fields of practice. Even with years of experience and thousands of hours of practice, accidents can occur that are well outside of anyone’s control.
A few things you’ll need to consider to determine if you have a medical malpractice case:
- Did you establish a ‘Doctor-Patient’ relationship?
- This could be by a formal agreement or treatment received
- Was a “Standard of Care” established?
- This means did the care that was provided meet the accepted standard within the medical community
- Did a breach of the “Standard of Care” occur?
- This is when your medical provider violated their obligation to your care and well-being
- Did this breach cause injury?
- This will need to be proven by the medical record, expert testimony, and peer review
- Did your injury cause damages?
- This could be anything from excessive medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, loss of quality of life, or other types of physical, emotional, and financial damage
If you’re unsure you can always contact the experts at Schiffman Firm for a free consultation regarding your potential medical malpractice case.
Legal Services in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
What Can Our Team Help You With Today?
From personal injury to product liability - Schiffman Firm has the legal expertise and experience to take on a wide variety of cases with a proven track record of delivering results for their clients.
Our attorneys are always ready to listen to your case. Contact us today for a free review of your case - you don't pay anything for our legal services unless you win your case.