CPSC Advises Rockers Should Never Be Used for Sleep
View full article from CPSC.gov
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Fisher-Price are alerting consumers to at least 13 reported deaths between 2009 and 2021 of infants in Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rockers and Newborn-to-Toddler Rockers. Rockers should never be used for sleep and infants should never be unsupervised or unrestrained in the Rockers.
Consumers are encouraged to report incidents involving these or other infant products to CPSC at saferproducts.gov. CPSC investigates incidents and fatalities that occurred while infants were in the products.
Fisher-Price has sold more than 17 million Rockers worldwide since the 1990s and reviews and evaluates reported incidents that occurred while infants were in the products. Fisher-Price recommends consumers visit Fisher-Price’s Safe Start webpage at www.fisherprice.com/SafeStart for safety videos, tips and additional safety information, as well as the latest safety warnings for Rockers and other infant products. Consumers are also encouraged to report incidents to Fisher-Price at 800-432-5437.
Parents and caregivers should never use inclined products, such as rockers, gliders, soothers, and swings, for infant sleep and should not leave infants in these products unsupervised, unrestrained, or with bedding material, due to the risk of suffocation. CPSC recently finalized a rule requiring that infant sleep products have a sleep surface angle of 10 degrees or less. The rule goes into effect on June 23, 2022.
Consumers are reminded:
- The best place for an infant to sleep is on a firm, flat surface in a crib, bassinet or play yard.
- Parents and caregivers should use a fitted sheet only and never add blankets, pillows, padded crib bumpers, or other items to an infant’s sleeping environment.
- Infants should always be placed to sleep on their back. Infants who fall asleep in an inclined or upright position should be moved to a safe sleep environment with a firm, flat surface such as a crib, bassinet or play yard.
Fisher-Price is committed to the safety of its products. Founded more than 90 years ago, Fisher-Price’s purpose is to be the most trusted brand for parents and caregivers of babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. For more information on Fisher-Price please visit fisher-price.com.
- CBS News – Public warned against using infant rockers for sleep after 14 deaths
- CNN – Baby rockers have led to more than a dozen infant deaths, government agency warns
- Fox News – Fisher-Price, Kids2 rockers linked to over a dozen reported deaths: CPSC
- Axios – Fisher-Price rocker warning issued after “at least” 13 babies died
Consumer Directions and Contact
What Do I Do If I Was Injured By a Defective Product?
When Bad Products Hurt Good People - Your Case Is Our Cause
Which Law Firm Handles Product Liability and Defective Product Personal Injury Claims?
With over 100 years of collective legal and trial experience, the team at Schiffman Firm has been a leader in providing trusted legal representation to injured victims and other types of clients in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
With a focus in product liability cases caused by dangerous and defective consumer and commercial products, our attorneys bring vast amounts of experience and expertise to victims and families that have suffered an injury caused by defective products like, but not limited to: